For four decades, the US government and other health organizations such as the American Heart Association have told us to limit dietary intake of cholesterol and to adopt a low fat diet. Cholesterol and fat, we were told, are dangerous to our heart health and must be minimized to prevent heart disease. Both of these positions are being overturned, in what can only be described as a stunning reversal. The Dietary Guidelines and Advisory Committee (DGAC), an independent advisory group, is dumping its low fat diet demands and is rescinding what was once considered dietary dogma, the low cholesterol diet.
What Has Brought About This Change?
The Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC), meets every five years to make dietary recommendations to the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Department of Health and Services (HHS). The committee is tasked with reviewing current nutritional research and making recommendations to the USDA. The final guidelines will be published later this year. Normally, the USDA follows the DGAC guidelines closely. If so, there are some sweeping changes being made to what we will be told to eat or not eat.
So What’s Changing?
Previously, the DGAC recommended that cholesterol intake be limited to no more than 300 mg/day and dietary fat be less than 30% of calories. Both of these recommendations are gone.
The report states that it will not bring forward the low cholesterol guideline
“…because available evidence shows no appreciable relationship between consumption of dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol…”
“Cholesterol is not a nutrient of concern for over consumption.”
Regarding fat intake, the recommendation in past reports has gone from low fat (less than 30%), to moderate fat to the current position:
“…dietary advice should put the emphasis on optimizing types of dietary fat and not reducing total fat.”
“reducing total fat (replacing total fat with overall carbohydrates) does not lower CVD risk.”
“The consumption of “low-fat” or “nonfat” products with high amounts of refined grains and added sugars should be discouraged.”
Eat Your Eggs...
After 40 plus years, we now can eat eggs and shrimp again, don’t need to watch our dietary cholesterol, and needn't worry about the total amount of fat we consume. Many scientists and nutritionists have been saying this for decades but were ignored or outright attacked. The anti-cholesterol, anti-fat advice was never based on sound, scientific principles. The recommendations directly contributed to the increase in chronic diseases, such as diabetes, obesity, and even some cancers.
The charts below says it clearly:
On the upside, the 2015 DGAC dietary recommendations are generally (with some exceptions) more in line with current scientific thinking and very comprehensive in scope. The report itself is 500 pages.
What The DGAC Got Right
Besides the cholesterol and fat recommendations, there are other positive aspects to the DGAC report worth mentioning:
- Nutrients of Concern – the report specifies nutrients that are being either over-consumed or under consumed by the American population and its subgroups. Vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin E, folate, vitamin C, calcium, and magnesium are under consumed along with fiber and potassium. Saturated fat and sodium are considered to be over consumed (more about this below).
- Added Sugars – previous reports warned of added sugars in the American diet (Americans consume up to 30 teaspoons full of sugar every day!) but for the first time the DGAC recommended that added sugars be reduced to 10% of the daily diet, or 12 teaspoons. The report cited strong scientific evidence for the destructive effect of dietary sugar on the American population. It endorsed removing sugary drinks from schools, among other actions.
- Sustainability – for the first time the committee has included concerns about “the impact of food production, processing, and consumption on environmental sustainability” in its recommendations. This is an important step towards opening up a nationwide dialogue on what constitutes a sustainable diet. The call to limit meat consumption is, however, problematic. Is it meat or industrial agriculture and other factors that are the problem? There is a great need for debate on this topic to reach a viable answer.
- Acculturation – as new ethnic groups enter the American mainstream, their adherence to traditional diets wanes and their health deteriorates. Efforts need to be made to support traditional diets and preservation of health. This was a welcome addition to the report.
- Psychological and Neurological Health – the role of diet in both neurological and psychological health in areas such as childhood development, depression. and cognitive impairment received important but limited endorsement. Research is expanding rapidly in this area.
Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy, right? However…
Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this true story…
What The DGAC Still Has Wrong
Unfortunately, the DGAC got some things wrong.
- Saturated Fat – the DGAC report warns against the dangers of saturated fat. This is a controversial recommendation given the numerous studies (both epidemiological and RCTs) indicating that intake of saturated fat is not linked to heart disease. It’s unfortunate that the DGAC has chosen to ignore compelling scientific evidence that saturated fat is not the culprit. The recommendation to replace saturated fat with vegetable oils is especially worrisome.
- Sodium – there is a great deal of controversy over the necessity to drastically lower sodium intake as a means of lowering blood pressure and preventing cardiovascular disease. Scientific evidence is contradictory as to the extent sodium reduction is necessary and for whom it would be an effective strategy. More research is needed to clarify who would benefit from sodium reduction, what that reduction might be, and what the dangers are of a very low sodium diet.
- Red Meat – the new DGAC recommendations include limiting even lean red meat. The science behind this is weak and certainly not robust enough to warrant a universal recommendation. Although the committee does not call for the elimination of red meat entirely, it goes too far in proposing a limit to red meat consumption. Rigorous clinical trials are needed to establish the role of lean red meat in the American diet.
Overall, the DGAC recommendations are an improvement over past reports. Eliminating cholesterol and healthy fat intake as concerns clearly addresses the distorted, unscientific recommendations dating back to 1977. The areas of saturated fat, sodium intake, and red meat consumption all need further scientific study and are misleading as they now stand. Fortunately, the report is helpful and accurate in focusing on the dangers of added sugars, sustainable food practices and security, issues of acculturation, the effect of poor diet on neurological and cognitive health, and targeting nutrients of concern and dietary patterns.
The DGAC recommendations will not be finalized until later in 2015. A comment period will allow interested individuals to make their opinions heard before the final report is published. You can go to health.gov to comment.
Editors note: Click here to Find a Local Farmer
FREE BOOK DOWNLOAD (Limited Offer)
Do You Know Your Body’s Most Important Weight Loss Secret?
By J. Davis III
Tags: HEALING | HEALTHY FATS | REMEDIES
Recently, Doctor of Naturopathy, weight-loss expert and best-selling Amazon author Liz Swann Miller, creator of the Red Smoothie Detox Factor, revealed 2 of the secrets to easy, steady weight loss. Secrets the big food corporations do their best to hide from us.
Secret #1: Enjoy real food. Don’t fall for the lie that you have to deprive yourself to lose weight.
Secret #2: stop eating out. You will automatically eat less without even noticing.
Then start detoxing your body with tasty, nourishing smoothies that are just as easy on your wallet as they are easy to make.
Because a single day of enjoying Liz’ smoothies demonstrated the radical power of her superfood-packed red smoothies to make me feel incredibly good.
Now prepare yourself for one of the biggest weight loss secrets there is. A secret that, when you use it properly, can transform your body and your health.
You probably know most of us eat too much processed food. What you may not know is that it’s full of toxic chemicals and substandard, dirt-cheap ingredients designed to make you eat more…and force you to gain weight.
Here’s how it works...
“That stuff is just a lot of calories your body can’t use,” Liz told me, “Some are poison. And all these foods are stripped of the anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that help your body detox. The result? Your body expends huge amounts of calories to eliminate some toxins—the rest, it stores in your fat to protect you. This is why most people are hungry all the time. They’re not getting energy they need.”
“So… what’s going on with me? Why am I losing weight but not going hungry?”
Liz paused, then dropped the bombshell.
Your body is designed to burn fat. You just have to let it.
“What? I thought we were designed to store fat?!?” We were Skyping and I was practically shouting. Then I heard Liz say…
What good is a fat reserve if you can’t burn it?
Liz continued: “You’re drinking smoothies packed with phytonutrients, anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that pull toxins out of you like a tractor beam. Allowing your body to burn those toxin-filled fat stores… and releasing tremendous amounts of stored energy.”
So that’s why I’m losing weight without going hungry.
Watch Liz’ free presentation. It’s packed with revolutionary weight loss information—information that works. Because it’s based on how nature works.
Click the button below only if you want to wear smaller clothes, breathe easier, move more freely and just plain feel better.
Because when you click here to watch Liz’ life-changing presentation, you’ll learn
- Which calories help you lose weight…and which ones help you gain it…
- The “diet” foods…some of them vegetables…that lead to weight gain and diabetes…
- The “low-fat” foods that can dramatically increase your risk of cancer.
- And the superfoods that rescue your body from this assault by detoxing you…
Revitalizing your metabolism so you can
Shed pounds as well as toxins, renew your body and reset your internal clock by up to 7 years.
Because until now, the Red Smoothie Detox Factor has been available only to Liz’ private clients. But now that she’s perfected it to work for almost everyone, almost every time, Liz is sharing it with rest of us so we can feel better and look better.
Get Red Smoothie Detox Factor before the price goes back up.
Because Liz offers a ridiculously good guarantee. You have 60 days to decide you love the Red Smoothie Detox Factor. If you don’t love it—for any reason, or even no reason at all —Liz will refund your money. 100%. No questions asked.
Natural Diabetes Treatment Works Better Than Prescription Drugs *PROOF*
By Richard Neal
Tags: HEALING | REMEDIES | PREVENTION
According the latest statistics, diagnosed and undiagnosed diabetes in the United States is reaching epidemic levels:
Total: 29.1 million people or 9.3% of the population have diabetes.
Diagnosed: 21.0 million people.
Undiagnosed: 8.1 million people (27.8% of people with diabetes are undiagnosed).
Source: CDC Website
Drugs Treat Symptoms, Not Disease
Pharmaceutical companies have been trying to shut these doctors down simply for revealing the truth about diabetes.
Scientific studies have proven that type 2 diabetes can be reversed naturally - but this information has been hidden and suppressed for decades.
Diabetics can normalize blood sugar, and be taken off all medication and insulin injections completely naturally.
Doctors at the International Council for Truth in Medicine are revealing the truth about diabetes in a shocking new online presentation.
In 3 Weeks, 71% Type 2 Diabetics Were Taken off ALL Medication
96% of patients were able to stop all insulin injections and 81% achieved complete relief of painful neuropathy.
Groundbreaking research published by the University of Kentucky, University of California and Newscastle University prove that type 2 diabetes CAN be reversed.
Blood sugar normalizes... neuropathy pain goes away...
Doctors at the International Council for Truth in Medicine have perfected these techniques and helped tens of thousands of their patients end the need for medication and insulin injections 100% naturally.
You don't have to suffer anymore, Learn the truth about your diabetes and stop this disease dead in its tracks right now.
Groundbreaking New Research
Doctors at the International Council for Truth in Medicine are revealing the truth about diabetes that has been suppressed for over 21 years.
Last year they helped over 17,542 type 2 diabetics end the need for prescription drugs, insulin injections and blood sugar monitoring.
This year they're on track to help over 30,000.
In just a few weeks, 96% of their patients are able to stop ALL diabetes medication and insulin injections.
No more neuropathy pain, pricking your finger, or the need for expensive medication.
Learn about this groundbreaking new research here:
#1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat
By J. Davis III
Tags: HEALING | PREVENTION
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat.
This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
P.S. Make sure you check out the next page to get to know the 10 simple moves that will bring vitality back into your life!
==> Click here to discover which “hidden survival muscle” will help you boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance permanently!
More Health Resources:
- "Red" Smoothie Helps Alabama Girl Shed 80lbs!
- Thе Fastest Wау Tо Lose Weight In 4 Weeks
- #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat
- Your Birth Date + Name - Free Report
- The "Instant Switch" Law Of Attraction
- The 3 reasons you should NEVER eat wheat -- Yes, even "whole wheat"
- [PROOF] Reverse Diabetes with a “Pancreas Jumpstart”
- Why Some People LOOK Fat that Aren't
- Diabetes Destroyer System
- His wife REFUSED to let them amputate his legs!
- Unlock Your Hip Flexors
- Doctors Reversed Diabetes in Three Weeks