It is amazing how much our lives are centered around food. It is natural, of course, since consuming food not only fuels our bodies but also our emotions. (Hello, emotional eaters!)
But how do you chose your diet? Do you base your decision upon fashion, religion or phase in life?
Choosing your Diet
I don't blame people who eat junk food, I think there comes a moment in life when something clicks, your eyes open wide and you are able to see what used to be invisible before. This enlightenment happens to all of us and when we look back we cannot fathom how we were able to eat such unhealthy diet for so long and get away with it.
But not all get away with a bad diet. The influence of diet upon health has been proven and a lot of research shows the benefits of eating organic, raw, vegetarian and even vegan.
But there is also a great deal of contradicting research. With the advance of the Internet age the information becomes more and more. Now picture yourself in the middle of this vast ocean of information. How do you know where to look? How do you know what to believe? Here is the latest post by Elephant Journal disclosing worrying information about eating organic: Eating Organic May be Harmful.
I take pride in imposing a healthy diet on my family. We eat a lot salads, fruits, but we also eat meat, a few times a month, mostly chicken. We eat plenty of fish, grains and seeds. We love feta cheese and yogurt, the one with Lactobacillus bulgaricus that will ensure we live to 100. We don't drink soft fizzy drinks, and when it comes to sweets, we mostly eat dark chocolate, 70% cocoa. We have replaced sugar with Stevia and drink a lot of water.
Is this enough though? Should I chose a label and put it on my diet? Maybe tweak a bit? If you are asking yourself the same questions, follow along to a pro and con review of some of the most popular diets.
Could you easily go without meat? The vegetarian diet might be for you.
Vegetarianism is the practice of abstaining from the consumption of meat – red meat, poultry, seafood and the flesh of any other animal; it may also include abstention from by-products of animal slaughter, such as animal-derived rennet and gelatin.
- Vegetarians are 50% less likely to develop heart disease, and they have a 40 percent lower cancer rate of meat-eaters.
- Meat-eaters are nine times more likely to be obese than vegans (who don't eat any animal products) are.
- Vegetarians have stronger immune systems than meat-eaters.
- Vegetarians and vegans live, on average, six to 10 years longer than meat-eaters.
- According to the Weston A. Price Foundation, a vegetarian diet is far from ideal, mostly because it lacks animal fats, which some experts say are necessary for human health.
- 2 in 3 vegetarians are vitamin B12 deficient compared to 1 in 20 meat eaters according to a peer-reviewed July 2003 study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
- According to Weston A. Price Foundation Vegetarianism that includes eggs and raw (unpasteurized) dairy products, organic vegetables and fruits, properly prepared whole grains, legumes, and nuts, and excludes unfermented soy products and processed foods, can be a healthy option for some people. However, some people have difficulty assimilating vitamins, minerals, protein, and other factors from plant foods. These individuals may need a higher proportion of nutrients from animal foods to achieve optimum health.
- Vegetarians may tend to eat too many grains as they shy away from meat. Eating too much grain, especially if it is processed white flour, can lead to weight gain. Eating sweets instead of protein increases your sugar intake which is even worse.
Don't care much about meat and animal products? How about becoming a vegan?
Veganism is the practice of abstaining from the use of animal products, particularly in diet, as well as an associated philosophy that rejects the commodity status of sentient animals.
- May help lower cholesterol: According to a study in Diabetes Voice in 2007 people with Type 2 diabetes who adopted a vegan diet reduced their LDL (low density lipoprotein) cholesterol by 21 percent — significantly more than the 9 percent drop seen by another group on the American Diabetes Association diet.
- May help lower blood pressure: According to a 2009 position paper of the American Dietetic Association, vegetarian eating is linked with decreased risk of death from ischemic heart disease. The report also concluded that people who eat a vegetarian diet tend to have lower LDL levels and less incidence of hypertension and Type 2 diabetes in comparison to non-vegetarian
- Increases antioxidant intake: Vegan eating usually increases intake of wholesome foods such as vegetables, fruits, beans, legumes and whole grains, which is a great opportunity to get plentiful antioxidants, dietary fiber and vitamins and minerals.
- Potential interference with existing medical conditions: If you have a condition such as osteoporosis or diabetes, it is critical to consult with your physician and a registered dietitian when starting and implementing a vegan eating plan, as a vegan diet may interfere with your condition.
- Loss of essential vitamins and minerals: There is evidence to show vegan diets do not contain vitamin B12, an essential nutrient. "Vegans can get vitamin B12 from fortified foods (some brands of soy milk, fake meats, breakfast cereals and nutritional yeast) and from supplements. Vegan diets may be low in calcium and vitamin D although there are vegan sources of these nutrients," says Reed Mangels, PhD, RD, nutrition advisor for The Vegetarian Resource Group (vrg.org).
Do you think you could live on uncooked vegetables and stay away from meat, animal products and baked products? Consider embracing the raw food diet.
Raw foodism (or rawism) is a diet consisting of uncooked, unprocessed, and often organic foods or wild foods. Depending on the type of lifestyle and results desired, raw food diets may include a selection of raw fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds (including sprouted whole grains such as gaba rice), eggs, fish (such as sashimi), meat (such as carpaccio), and non-pasteurized/non-homogenized dairy products (such as raw milk, raw milk cheese, and raw milk yogurt).
- Increases the level of energy and body health.
- Beneficial to the skin.
- Positively improves your digestion and helps you lose weight.
- Decreases the chances of developing heart and cardiovascular diseases.
- I will start by opposing one of the pros above. According to a German study that gathered data on subjects whose diets consisted of at least 70 percent raw foods -- primarily fruits and vegetables, the raw food diet had a positive effect on levels of "bad" cholesterol and triglycerides, but it appeared to raise levels of homocysteine -- a type of amino acid believed to increase your risk of heart disease -- and lower levels of the "good" cholesterol that protects the heart.
- According to a number of studies, the raw food diet increases death rates from heart disease compared to a vegetarian diet that includes dairy and eggs.
- Read this mind boggling article by a well-known raw food author, admitting that due to health problems she couldn't continue with her vegan/raw-food lifestyle. Kristen's confession answered a lot of questions I have been asking myself.
What if you like seafood? You might add a twist to vegetarianism by becoming a pescetarian.
Pescetarianism is the practice of a diet that includes seafood but not the flesh of other animals. A pescetarian diet shares many of its components with a vegetarian diet and includes vegetables, fruit, nuts, grains, beans, eggs, and dairy, but unlike a vegetarian diet also includes fish and shellfish. The Merriam-Webster dictionary dates the origin of the term "pescetarian" to 1993 and defines it to mean: "one whose diet includes fish but no other meat"
- Pescetarians consume enough Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish, which ensures them a healthy heart. If you have a desire to be vegetarian but are concerned about getting adequate amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids, you might want to try flaxseed oil. It can be added to many recipes during food preparation, and it's virtually undetectable in smoothies. You can take a flaxseed oil supplement as well.
- Seafood is a good source of iron. Because of this, pescetarians are at a much lower risk of having iron deficiency, which is common amongst vegans and vegetarians.
- Depending on the quantity and type of fish you eat as a pescetarian, excess mercury consumption might be a concern. To minimize your exposure to mercury, limit your consumption of larger fish. This is particularly important if you're pregnant. If you're pregnant, ask your obstetrician what types of fish and how much fish you can safely consume. Reduce your exposure to mercury by buying wild fish rather than farm-raised whenever possible. The only downside is cost; wild fish is typically more expensive. Change the variety of fish you eat so you don't consume an abundance of any one particular fish. What you need to know about mercury in fish and shellfish.
- The pescetarian diet severely limits your protein sources.
Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy, right? However…
Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this true story…
Are you allergic to milk but love meat? Would you feel fine if you left refined sugar and salt behind? Consider the paleolithic diet.
The paleolithic diet, also known as the caveman diet, Stone Age diet and hunter-gatherer diet, is a modern nutritional plan based on the presumed ancient diet of wild plants and animals that various hominid species habitually consumed during the Paleolithic era, which ended around 10,000 years ago with the development of agriculture and grain-based diets. Centered on commonly available modern foods, the "contemporary" Paleolithic diet consists mainly of fish, grass-fed pasture raised meats, eggs, vegetables, fruit, fungi, roots, and nuts, and excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, potatoes, refined salt, refined sugar, and processed oils.
- The Paleo diet is one of few diets to manage to offer a sufficient amount of potassium, which decreases bone loss, and reduces the risk of developing kidney stones.
- Eliminates reliance on white refined carbohydrates.
- By embracing the Paleo diet you will certainly eat lots of vegetables.
- No more processed snack foods, which are high in calories and low in nutrients.
- Calcium is essential not only to build and maintain bones but to make blood vessels and muscles function properly. Because you’re not allowed dairy or fortified cereals, you’ll likely only get about half of the recommended daily amount from a Paleo menu.
- Beans and whole grains, which are not allowed in the Paleo diet, are an important source of nutrients and fiber, plus an eco-friendly source of protein.
- Refraining from legumes and whole grains has been shown to increase the risk of disease and heighten insulin sensitivity and blood glucose levels, not to mention increase BMI.
- The Paleo diet is too hard to maintain over a long period of time, which leads to yo-yo dieting and can mean poorer health.
Do you have celiac disease? This is the only reason to go on a gluten-free diet.
The gluten-free diet excludes foods containing gluten -- the protein complex found in wheat, barley, rye and triticale. Corn and rice also contain gluten, but are considered gluten-free, as the gluten in these species do not cause celiac disease. A gluten-free diet is the only medically accepted treatment for celiac disease, the related condition dermatitis herpetiformis, and wheat allergy, but not gluten allergy. Although the gluten-free diet has recently become a fad, there is no evidence to suggest that following a gluten-free diet has any significant benefits in the general population. On the contrary, there is some evidence to suggest that a gluten-free diet may adversely affect gut health in those without celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
- Some people have a condition “where gluten damages the little fingerlike vili in their small intestines, causing discomfort in their bowels. They may also have constipation, diarrhea or blood in their stool. The condition is diagnosed through blood test and biopsy. Depending on the results, the diagnosis will be either celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. These patients must follow a gluten-free diet throughout their lives. If you suspect you have celiac disease and would like to be tested, it’s important to eat regularly and not follow a gluten-free diet, as this may skew results.
- Because of the restriction of gluten, a greater emphasis is put on fruits and vegetables, which are often lacking in the typical American diets.
- If you’re following a gluten-free diet with the intent of losing weight, you’re often eliminating entire categories of food — such as whole-grain breads — and as a result you run the risk of cutting out sources of necessary vitamins, particularly the B vitamins, niacin, folic acid, iron and zinc.
- With a gluten-free diet you might chose less healthy foods. Often people substitute high-fat items for the gluten. A label may say the product is gluten-free, but it may be high in fat or sugar.
Editors note: Click here to Find a Local Farmer
FREE BOOK DOWNLOAD (Limited Offer)
Do You Know Your Body’s Most Important Weight Loss Secret?
By J. Davis III
Tags: HEALING | HEALTHY FATS | REMEDIES
Recently, Doctor of Naturopathy, weight-loss expert and best-selling Amazon author Liz Swann Miller, creator of the Red Smoothie Detox Factor, revealed 2 of the secrets to easy, steady weight loss. Secrets the big food corporations do their best to hide from us.
Secret #1: Enjoy real food. Don’t fall for the lie that you have to deprive yourself to lose weight.
Secret #2: stop eating out. You will automatically eat less without even noticing.
Then start detoxing your body with tasty, nourishing smoothies that are just as easy on your wallet as they are easy to make.
Because a single day of enjoying Liz’ smoothies demonstrated the radical power of her superfood-packed red smoothies to make me feel incredibly good.
Now prepare yourself for one of the biggest weight loss secrets there is. A secret that, when you use it properly, can transform your body and your health.
You probably know most of us eat too much processed food. What you may not know is that it’s full of toxic chemicals and substandard, dirt-cheap ingredients designed to make you eat more…and force you to gain weight.
Here’s how it works...
“That stuff is just a lot of calories your body can’t use,” Liz told me, “Some are poison. And all these foods are stripped of the anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that help your body detox. The result? Your body expends huge amounts of calories to eliminate some toxins—the rest, it stores in your fat to protect you. This is why most people are hungry all the time. They’re not getting energy they need.”
“So… what’s going on with me? Why am I losing weight but not going hungry?”
Liz paused, then dropped the bombshell.
Your body is designed to burn fat. You just have to let it.
“What? I thought we were designed to store fat?!?” We were Skyping and I was practically shouting. Then I heard Liz say…
What good is a fat reserve if you can’t burn it?
Liz continued: “You’re drinking smoothies packed with phytonutrients, anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that pull toxins out of you like a tractor beam. Allowing your body to burn those toxin-filled fat stores… and releasing tremendous amounts of stored energy.”
So that’s why I’m losing weight without going hungry.
Watch Liz’ free presentation. It’s packed with revolutionary weight loss information—information that works. Because it’s based on how nature works.
Click the button below only if you want to wear smaller clothes, breathe easier, move more freely and just plain feel better.
Because when you click here to watch Liz’ life-changing presentation, you’ll learn
- Which calories help you lose weight…and which ones help you gain it…
- The “diet” foods…some of them vegetables…that lead to weight gain and diabetes…
- The “low-fat” foods that can dramatically increase your risk of cancer.
- And the superfoods that rescue your body from this assault by detoxing you…
Revitalizing your metabolism so you can
Shed pounds as well as toxins, renew your body and reset your internal clock by up to 7 years.
Because until now, the Red Smoothie Detox Factor has been available only to Liz’ private clients. But now that she’s perfected it to work for almost everyone, almost every time, Liz is sharing it with rest of us so we can feel better and look better.
Get Red Smoothie Detox Factor before the price goes back up.
Because Liz offers a ridiculously good guarantee. You have 60 days to decide you love the Red Smoothie Detox Factor. If you don’t love it—for any reason, or even no reason at all —Liz will refund your money. 100%. No questions asked.
Natural Diabetes Treatment Works Better Than Prescription Drugs *PROOF*
By Richard Neal
Tags: HEALING | REMEDIES | PREVENTION
According the latest statistics, diagnosed and undiagnosed diabetes in the United States is reaching epidemic levels:
Total: 29.1 million people or 9.3% of the population have diabetes.
Diagnosed: 21.0 million people.
Undiagnosed: 8.1 million people (27.8% of people with diabetes are undiagnosed).
Source: CDC Website
Drugs Treat Symptoms, Not Disease
Pharmaceutical companies have been trying to shut these doctors down simply for revealing the truth about diabetes.
Scientific studies have proven that type 2 diabetes can be reversed naturally - but this information has been hidden and suppressed for decades.
Diabetics can normalize blood sugar, and be taken off all medication and insulin injections completely naturally.
Doctors at the International Council for Truth in Medicine are revealing the truth about diabetes in a shocking new online presentation.
In 3 Weeks, 71% Type 2 Diabetics Were Taken off ALL Medication
96% of patients were able to stop all insulin injections and 81% achieved complete relief of painful neuropathy.
Groundbreaking research published by the University of Kentucky, University of California and Newscastle University prove that type 2 diabetes CAN be reversed.
Blood sugar normalizes... neuropathy pain goes away...
Doctors at the International Council for Truth in Medicine have perfected these techniques and helped tens of thousands of their patients end the need for medication and insulin injections 100% naturally.
You don't have to suffer anymore, Learn the truth about your diabetes and stop this disease dead in its tracks right now.
Groundbreaking New Research
Doctors at the International Council for Truth in Medicine are revealing the truth about diabetes that has been suppressed for over 21 years.
Last year they helped over 17,542 type 2 diabetics end the need for prescription drugs, insulin injections and blood sugar monitoring.
This year they're on track to help over 30,000.
In just a few weeks, 96% of their patients are able to stop ALL diabetes medication and insulin injections.
No more neuropathy pain, pricking your finger, or the need for expensive medication.
Learn about this groundbreaking new research here:
#1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat
By J. Davis III
Tags: HEALING | PREVENTION
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat.
This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
P.S. Make sure you check out the next page to get to know the 10 simple moves that will bring vitality back into your life!
==> Click here to discover which “hidden survival muscle” will help you boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance permanently!
More Health Resources:
- "Red" Smoothie Helps Alabama Girl Shed 80lbs!
- Thе Fastest Wау Tо Lose Weight In 4 Weeks
- #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat
- Your Birth Date + Name - Free Report
- The "Instant Switch" Law Of Attraction
- The 3 reasons you should NEVER eat wheat -- Yes, even "whole wheat"
- [PROOF] Reverse Diabetes with a “Pancreas Jumpstart”
- Why Some People LOOK Fat that Aren't
- Diabetes Destroyer System
- His wife REFUSED to let them amputate his legs!
- Unlock Your Hip Flexors
- Doctors Reversed Diabetes in Three Weeks