The easiest way to make sure you are getting more nutrients into every meal.
Every time you flavor your meals with herbs or spices you are literally "upgrading" your food without adding a single calorie. You are taking something ordinary and turning it into something extraordinary by adding color, flavor, vitamins, and often medicinal properties.
* Spices and herbs maximize nutrient density. Herbs and spices contain antioxidants, minerals and multivitamins. At the cocktail party, choose the Thai chicken satay stick over the tried and true fried chicken strip.
* Spices and herbs create a more thermogenic diet. Because spices are nutrient dense, they are thermogenic, which means they naturally increase your metabolism.
* Some spices and herbs increase your overall feeling of fullness and satiety, so you'll eat less. One study conducted at Maanstricht University in the Netherlands showed that when one consumes an appetizer with half a teaspoon of red pepper flakes before each meal, it decreased their calorie intake by 10-16 percent.
* Spices and herbs have real medicinal properties. Study after study shows the benefits of distinct herbs and spices. For example, one 2003 trial of 60 people with type 2 diabetes reported that consuming as little as two teaspoons of cinnamon daily for six weeks reduced blood-glucose levels significantly. It also improved blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels, perhaps because insulin plays a key role in regulating fats in your body.
Choose flavor over blandness every time, and try to incorporate these specific herbs and spices into your diet if you have the following health concerns:
- rosemary and basil for their anti-inflammatory power
- cumin and sage for their dementia-fighting power
- cayenne and cinnamon for their obesity-fighting power
- coriander and cinnamon for their sugar regulating powers
- lemon grass, nutmeg, bay leaves and saffron for their calming effects on your mood
- turmeric for its cancer fighting power
- oregano for its fungus-beating power
- garlic, mustard seed and chicory for their heart-pumping power
- basil and thyme for their skin-saving power
- turmeric, basil, cinnamon, thyme, saffron, and ginger for their immune-boosting power
- coriander, rosemary, cayenne, allspice and black pepper for their depression-busting power
Spices adding both flavor and health benefits to your food
Many plants synthesize substances that are useful to the maintenance of health. These include health-promoting substances like phenols, and their oxygen-substituted derivatives such as tannins.
One study, published in the Journal of Medicinal Foods, found a direct correlation between the antioxidant phenol content of extracts of spices and herbs, and their ability to inhibit glycation and block the formation of AGE compounds that contribute to damage caused by aging and elevated blood sugar levels.
But remember, just like food, most herbs offer the greatest benefits in their unprocessed state, from where the known active ingredients can work synergistically with other agents in the plant.
Small Doses Pack a Big Punch
It may come as a surprise to some that herbs and spices are some of the most potentantioxidants. In fact, on a per gram fresh weight basis, oregano and other herbs rank even higher in antioxidant activity than fruits and vegetables, which are known to be high in antioxidants.
Compared to the antioxidant activities of a few select fruits and vegetables, the potency of oregano ranks supreme. It has 42 times more antioxidant activity than apples, 30 times more than potatoes, 12 times more than oranges, and 4 times more than blueberries! As an example, one tablespoon of fresh oregano contains the same antioxidant activity as one medium-sized apple.
I personally love oregano and grow it in my garden every year, as it is a perennial plant and faithfully comes back every year. It is easy to harvest in late summer and fall, and dehydrate and store to use for the following year.
Great Reasons to Spice Up Your Life!
Choosing flavor over blandness can add a beneficial punch to both your taste buds and your health. What could be easier and more gratifying than that?
Here are a compilation of some of the most potent herbs and spices, and their health benefits:
In the study mentioned above, cloves came out as a clear winner, being the most potent of 24 common herbs and spices found in your spice rack. Fortunately, they have a sweet and spicy, aromatic flavor that makes a great complement to many foods.
Among the clove’s most well-known healing properties is its ability to relieve tooth and gum pain, but it has many benefits beyond that, including:
- Anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and antioxidant properties
- Relief from respiratory ailments such as asthma and bronchitis
- Relief from muscle pains from injuries or arthritis and rheumatism
- Eliminates intestinal parasites, fungi and bacteria
- May encourage creativity and mental focus
Cinnamon and cinnamon extracts have previously been shown to effectively lower blood sugar. In one such study, cinnamon was found to increase glucose metabolism 20-fold! In another, half a teaspoon of cinnamon a day significantly reduced blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes. It also reduces triglyceride, LDL cholesterol, and total cholesterol levels among this group.
Interestingly, cinnamon lowers your blood sugar by acting on multiple levels. It slows the emptying of your stomach to reduce sharp rises in blood sugar following meals, and improves the effectiveness of insulin. It also enhances your antioxidant defenses.
Researchers have even gone so far as to say cinnamon could play the role of an insulin substitute in the treatment of type 2 diabetes!
Cinnamon’s other benefits include:
- Supports digestive function
- Constricts and tones tissues
- Relieves congestion
- Relieves pain and stiffness of muscles and joints
- Relieves menstrual discomfort
- Blood-thinning compounds that stimulate circulation
- Anti-inflammatory compounds that may relieve arthritis
- Helps prevent urinary tract infections, tooth decay and gum disease
- It’s a powerful anti-microbial agent that can kill E. coli and other bacteria
Nutmeg is another spice that has a variety of healing properties and has been studied by science for a variety of ailments. One recent study, published in the Journal of Medicinal Food discovered that an extract of nutmeg seeds elicited a significant antidepressant-like effect in mice; in some doses comparable in potency to the antidepressants imipramine and fluoxetine.
In fact, reducing anxiety and treating insomnia are two ailments that nutmeg has been traditionally used for.
Another study in the Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering found that nutmeg extract has antibacterial activity that can significantly reduce certain strains of E. coli.
Nutmeg is also beneficial for:
- Calming muscle spasms
- Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Joint pain and gout
- Lowering blood pressure
- Male infertility and impotence
- Improving concentration
- Increasing circulation
- Lowering cholesterol
- Toothaches (nutmeg oil)
** Please note that nutmeg contains volatile oils comprised of alkyl benzene derivatives, terpenes and myristic acid. The spice has a long history of abuse; taking too much nutmeg (one to three nuts; in some cases less) can cause side effects such as nausea,hallucinations, swelling and shock.
Ginger is another spice with a potent flavor that is great for warming your body and adding kick to foods. Its medicinal properties include:
- Most notably and reliably known for its consistent ability to resolve nausea, motion sickness, morning sickness, and other stomach upset
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Eliminates intestinal gas
- Relaxes and soothes the intestinal tract
- Antioxidant properties
- Relieves dizziness
- Boosts your immune system
- Protects against bacteria and fungi
- Encourages bile flow
- Promotes cardiovascular health
The therapeutic effects of fresh peppermint leaves have been known since ancient times. It’s been used to sooth the digestive tract, and one study published in the journal BMJ earlier this year found peppermint oil may be beneficial in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome.
Other healing properties include:
- May protect against cancer
- Inhibits the growth of bacteria and fungus
- Relieves the symptoms of allergies and asthma
The antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic properties of curcumin, the powerful yellow spice found in both turmeric and curry powders, has undergone intense research in various parts of the world.
According to researchers from the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, curcumin blocks a key biological pathway needed for development of melanoma and other cancers. Results showed that regardless of how much curcumin was used, thespice still worked to stop the growth of melanoma by inducing cell suicide.
Editors note: Click here to Find a Local Farmer
FREE BOOK DOWNLOAD (Limited Offer)
Do You Know Your Body’s Most Important Weight Loss Secret?
By J. Davis III
Tags: HEALING | HEALTHY FATS | REMEDIES
Recently, Doctor of Naturopathy, weight-loss expert and best-selling Amazon author Liz Swann Miller, creator of the Red Smoothie Detox Factor, revealed 2 of the secrets to easy, steady weight loss. Secrets the big food corporations do their best to hide from us.
Secret #1: Enjoy real food. Don’t fall for the lie that you have to deprive yourself to lose weight.
Secret #2: stop eating out. You will automatically eat less without even noticing.
Then start detoxing your body with tasty, nourishing smoothies that are just as easy on your wallet as they are easy to make.
Because a single day of enjoying Liz’ smoothies demonstrated the radical power of her superfood-packed red smoothies to make me feel incredibly good.
Now prepare yourself for one of the biggest weight loss secrets there is. A secret that, when you use it properly, can transform your body and your health.
You probably know most of us eat too much processed food. What you may not know is that it’s full of toxic chemicals and substandard, dirt-cheap ingredients designed to make you eat more…and force you to gain weight.
Here’s how it works...
“That stuff is just a lot of calories your body can’t use,” Liz told me, “Some are poison. And all these foods are stripped of the anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that help your body detox. The result? Your body expends huge amounts of calories to eliminate some toxins—the rest, it stores in your fat to protect you. This is why most people are hungry all the time. They’re not getting energy they need.”
“So… what’s going on with me? Why am I losing weight but not going hungry?”
Liz paused, then dropped the bombshell.
Your body is designed to burn fat. You just have to let it.
“What? I thought we were designed to store fat?!?” We were Skyping and I was practically shouting. Then I heard Liz say…
What good is a fat reserve if you can’t burn it?
Liz continued: “You’re drinking smoothies packed with phytonutrients, anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that pull toxins out of you like a tractor beam. Allowing your body to burn those toxin-filled fat stores… and releasing tremendous amounts of stored energy.”
So that’s why I’m losing weight without going hungry.
Watch Liz’ free presentation. It’s packed with revolutionary weight loss information—information that works. Because it’s based on how nature works.
Click the button below only if you want to wear smaller clothes, breathe easier, move more freely and just plain feel better.
Because when you click here to watch Liz’ life-changing presentation, you’ll learn
- Which calories help you lose weight…and which ones help you gain it…
- The “diet” foods…some of them vegetables…that lead to weight gain and diabetes…
- The “low-fat” foods that can dramatically increase your risk of cancer.
- And the superfoods that rescue your body from this assault by detoxing you…
Revitalizing your metabolism so you can
Shed pounds as well as toxins, renew your body and reset your internal clock by up to 7 years.
Because until now, the Red Smoothie Detox Factor has been available only to Liz’ private clients. But now that she’s perfected it to work for almost everyone, almost every time, Liz is sharing it with rest of us so we can feel better and look better.
Get Red Smoothie Detox Factor before the price goes back up.
Because Liz offers a ridiculously good guarantee. You have 60 days to decide you love the Red Smoothie Detox Factor. If you don’t love it—for any reason, or even no reason at all —Liz will refund your money. 100%. No questions asked.
Natural Diabetes Treatment Works Better Than Prescription Drugs *PROOF*
By Richard Neal
Tags: HEALING | REMEDIES | PREVENTION
According the latest statistics, diagnosed and undiagnosed diabetes in the United States is reaching epidemic levels:
Total: 29.1 million people or 9.3% of the population have diabetes.
Diagnosed: 21.0 million people.
Undiagnosed: 8.1 million people (27.8% of people with diabetes are undiagnosed).
Source: CDC Website
Drugs Treat Symptoms, Not Disease
Pharmaceutical companies have been trying to shut these doctors down simply for revealing the truth about diabetes.
Scientific studies have proven that type 2 diabetes can be reversed naturally - but this information has been hidden and suppressed for decades.
Diabetics can normalize blood sugar, and be taken off all medication and insulin injections completely naturally.
Doctors at the International Council for Truth in Medicine are revealing the truth about diabetes in a shocking new online presentation.
In 3 Weeks, 71% Type 2 Diabetics Were Taken off ALL Medication
96% of patients were able to stop all insulin injections and 81% achieved complete relief of painful neuropathy.
Groundbreaking research published by the University of Kentucky, University of California and Newscastle University prove that type 2 diabetes CAN be reversed.
Blood sugar normalizes... neuropathy pain goes away...
Doctors at the International Council for Truth in Medicine have perfected these techniques and helped tens of thousands of their patients end the need for medication and insulin injections 100% naturally.
You don't have to suffer anymore, Learn the truth about your diabetes and stop this disease dead in its tracks right now.
Groundbreaking New Research
Doctors at the International Council for Truth in Medicine are revealing the truth about diabetes that has been suppressed for over 21 years.
Last year they helped over 17,542 type 2 diabetics end the need for prescription drugs, insulin injections and blood sugar monitoring.
This year they're on track to help over 30,000.
In just a few weeks, 96% of their patients are able to stop ALL diabetes medication and insulin injections.
No more neuropathy pain, pricking your finger, or the need for expensive medication.
Learn about this groundbreaking new research here:
#1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat
By J. Davis III
Tags: HEALING | PREVENTION
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat.
This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
P.S. Make sure you check out the next page to get to know the 10 simple moves that will bring vitality back into your life!
==> Click here to discover which “hidden survival muscle” will help you boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance permanently!
More Health Resources:
- "Red" Smoothie Helps Alabama Girl Shed 80lbs!
- Thе Fastest Wау Tо Lose Weight In 4 Weeks
- #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat
- Your Birth Date + Name - Free Report
- The "Instant Switch" Law Of Attraction
- The 3 reasons you should NEVER eat wheat -- Yes, even "whole wheat"
- [PROOF] Reverse Diabetes with a “Pancreas Jumpstart”
- Why Some People LOOK Fat that Aren't
- Diabetes Destroyer System
- His wife REFUSED to let them amputate his legs!
- Unlock Your Hip Flexors
- Doctors Reversed Diabetes in Three Weeks
Can Some Spice Each Day Keep the Doctor Away?
While there are many benefits to be had by adding spices to your diet, remember that spices, just like drugs and supplements, should not be considered as "cures" for your health problems. They should not be taken every day or you run the risk of developing an allergy to them.
Only by addressing the underlying causes of illness with a healthy diet and lifestyle will you be able to achieve optimal health.
That said, spices used with the above advice in mind are indeed an excellent way to add flavor and healing properties to your diet. They have very low calorie content, they’re relatively inexpensive, and they can turbo-boost the natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory power of your food.
Just remember to use care when selecting your spices.
The U.S. irradiates over 65 million pounds of spices, herbs and dry ingredients each year. Fortunately, in the U.S. and Canada irradiated spices must to be labeled with the international symbol for irradiated foods, the "radura" symbol. So before you purchase a spice, be sure to check the label to ensure that it has not been irradiated.
Naturally, organic varieties are your healthiest option.