How many times have you searched for the perfect snack? I know for me having pre-planned snacks are essential for my health, happiness and vitality since I have battled digestive issues my whole life. Since becoming a certified health coach and detox specialist, I encourage my clients to not look at food at “good or bad”; instead to look at food at fuel or inflammation.
How often do you eat a food that makes you feel bloated? Tired? Moody?
Too often we are eating foods that are inflaming our body and not fueling it. Our digestion is essential for proper metabolism, thyroid function, manufacturing of healthy serotonin levels to name a few then let’s put the “right fuel into our bodies”.
Unfortunately we live in the age of inflammation. Many of us eat local foods, organic foods and “clean foods that are free or pesticides’ and still feel toxic and out of balance.
Often we are sensitive to foods and we do not even know it. Below is a list of snacks that are allergy friendly and anti-inflammatory. Try eating some of these snacks and notice how your body feels.
You may find that you need a snack or maybe you are super full. I want you to listen to your own body and check in. Ask yourself, “hey body, am I hungry?” “Hey body, am I feeling tired?” This is a way to start being in tune to what your bodies needs.
If you want a snack, start with a small portion, chew that food (remember digestion starts in your mouth) and then see if you are satisfied.
If you need more food, then eat more but wait at least 30 minutes to digest and let your body feel what it is like to be satisfied. It is that simple!
it takes about 15 minutes for your brain and body to recognize that you have eaten
Remember it takes about 15 minutes for your brain and body to recognize that you have eaten and for your body to process the glucose and convert it into energy. Most people are pleasantly surprised to find that they only need a small handful of seeds, some raw veggies, or a piece of fruit to keep them energized until the next meal. Experiment to see what works best for your body.
Remember to be flexible: everyday is different & every week & every season. So stay in tune with your body and listen to what your body needs.
Simple, guilt free “pick me up” snacks
- 1⁄4 c of sunflower or pumpkin seeds (raw is best)
- 1 sliced cucumber with sea salt + a dash of cayenne pepper
- Celery with 2 tablespoons tahini or sunbutter and shredded coconut
- 1 piece of fruit with a handful of seeds (pumpkin seeds are fabulous for killing bacteria in the body and also anti-inflammatory)
- 1⁄2 avocado with sea salt + watercress + dandelion leaves (watercress and dandelion are rich in chlorophyll and support liver detoxification which means less inflammation in your body)
- Tomato & basil with olive oil, 1 tsp braggs raw apple cider vinegar, & sea salt & garlic powder or turmeric (both herbs are anti-inflammatory)
- Raw veggie delight: carrot, celery, cucumber, red pepper, (great for a CRUNCH!) & hummus
- ¼ cup of cultured vegetables (you can buy these at your local health food store, grocery chain market or make them at home) with 2 tbsp of dulse flakes (buy them at whole foods)
- Sea Vegetables are wonderful for your adrenals, thyroid and metabolism plus chock full of vitamins and minerals.
Remember get in tune with what your body needs and notice how a food affects you on a physical and emotional level. Food has power. When you feed your body the “right fuel” your engine can go for hours.