A person’s diet is always an evolution. Maybe you have more time on your hands and can cook from scratch. Maybe you got a second time and scratch cooking is hard to fit in. Maybe a health issue has caused you to rethink the way you eat. Sometimes a change in eating habits is triggered by a change in finances. Often, it’s many things combined that cause your eating habits to change. Whatever the reason, there’s always a learning curve as you embrace the positive aspects of the change.
We’ve made two major changes over the past couple of years.
First of all, we are very committed to eating locally. When you eat locally grown food, you don’t have that separation from it that people who simply go to the grocery store and load up a cart do. When you eat locally, you know what you’re getting, and you know it to an exponentially greater degree.
Secondly, several months ago we swore off grains as a family due to some health issues with my daughter, and we haven’t looked back. I think it’s entirely possible that many of the chronic health problems being experienced in our country could be related to the exceptionally high grain-and-carbohydrate intake of the average American. It isn’t even because people are just gorging on junk food. We’re being strongly encouraged to load up our plates with “health whole grains” despite a growing body of evidence that whole grains are anything but healthy.
And here’s the magical thing that I discovered:
Grain free and local go hand in hand.
The number one thing I noticed when we opted out of grains was that previously, when I tried to stay with more local foods, it was always grains that caused me to veer off plan. Because, well, grains don’t grow here.
I began to think about how I could eat food produced nearby and stick to my plan, and then it all clicked into place.
We stick fairly closely to the Primal Blueprint, a plan developed by Mark Sisson. (We do include beans and organic corn on occasion.) There’s some crossover with the Paleo diet, but we consume dairy products, which are forbidden on that plan.
“Eating ancestrally is about ingredients, and local culture and that means what’s available to you where you are. So eating this way it will look different in Greece, Coastal France, Japan, Africa, Maine, Hawaii, California, or in the Rocky Mountain West.
Those who have done their research in this field of traditional diets, whether their approach be Paleo, Mediterranean, or following any of the Blue Zones recommendations, the goal of this style of eating is health. And those who follow an ancestral lifestyle, or way of eating, have been found to showcase some of the lowest rates of some of the most common epidemic diseases: diabetes, heart disease, neurological and behavioral disorders, cancer, high blood pressure, and others.”
This ties in with the research of Dr. Weston Price, whose book Nutrition and Physical Degeneration was originally published in the early 1900s. Price was a dentist from Cleveland, Ohio, who travelled the world to research dental health in relation to traditional diets. What he discovered was that the change in nutrition affected far more than dental health. Through his travels, he learned that people who had veered away from their traditional diets had much higher incidence of poor health, chronic disease, facial malformations, crooked teeth, and dental problems. His findings go hand in hand with the importance of eating traditional and local foods that we were designed to consume. It’s simply not in our DNA to hunt or gather a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.
The key point here is that our hunter-gatherer ancestors did not have access to imported or processed food. They had local food NAILED, though.
So, at your local farmer’s market, do they sell sheaves of wheat? No? Mine either. But they do sell abundant fruits and vegetables, farm-fresh eggs, and local meats.
By paying attention to what is available at the farmer’s market in your area, you can easily learn to eat a diet that is more local to you. And you may find that you naturally move away from the grain laden SAD (Standard American Diet).
What do you eat when you don’t eat grains?
This is a question I am asked frequently. When you first start out it takes some adjusting, but I eat many of the same foods as I did before, just minus the serving of starchy carbohydrates.
To figure out what to eat, look around your farmer’s market. Think about what you, yourself, can produce. You may not be able to grow fields of wheat and rice, but there are lots of things you actually CAN produce yourself, or easily purchase from or barter with someone nearby.
- You can grow vegetables.
- You can have an orchard that will thrive in your particular climate, or trade with someone who does.
- You can raise meat animals like chickens and rabbits, or larger livestock if you have the space
- You can raise animals to produce eggs and milk.
- You can preserve food in a multitude of ways.
- You can save seeds so that you can do it all again next year.
- You can breed livestock to expand your flock.
- You can keep bees.
- You can hunt/snare/fish for meat
Unless you live in Antarctica, it’s entirely likely that these things are within your reach, perhaps even within walking distance. And if you can’t/won’t do these things yourself, there are probably people in your vicinity that can and do.
Keeping in mind that it’s the height of garden season, here are some examples of grain free meals we’ve eaten in the past week:
- Ham or bacon and eggs with sliced tomatoes
- Zucchini and potato hash browns with sausage
- Homemade yogurt and fruit
- Smoothies with raw milk and fruit
- Salad with leftover meats
- Cucumber and tomato salad with goat’s milk feta
- Veggies with yogurt dip
- Leftovers from the previous night
- Southwestern chicken vegetable soup
- Steak with grilled vegetables
- Grilled chicken topped with salsa served with grilled corn
- Meatloaf with cauliflower/potato mash
- Stir fry with green beans and chicken
We’re pretty busy during the day and don’t sit down for a full meal until supper – lunch is usually a grab-and-go kind of thing for us, and sometimes we eat breakfast later in the day and just have an early dinner.
Once you get into the swing of things, it isn’t hard to convert many of your own recipes to grain-free ones. Here’s a list of substitutions and conversions that can help you do this.
Many of the cookbooks for primal or paleo eating rely on exotic ingredients that aren’t really part of our plan, but you can often substitute something more realistic. These cookbooks have some great recipes, and the creative cook can easily tweak them to fit the food available.
- Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals
- The Primal Blueprint Cookbook
- Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans
- Wheat Belly 30-Minute (Or Less!) Cookbook
- Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats
For more ideas, you can follow me on Instagram. I often photograph our food to share how easy it is to live a grain-free, local food lifestyle. Sometimes seeing what a real family eats can help more than a cookbook because we live with a strict budget and don’t have a million crazy ingredients from Tahiti in our kitchen.
Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy, right? However…
Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this true story…
What do you eat in the winter?
Sticking to local foods all year long can seem like quite a challenge, especially if you live in a place with dark, cold winters. Many people rely on supplementing their local goodies with a serving of grains at every meal, even though no farms with the same area code as you even produce grains.
We live in California, which means I have a longer growing season than most folks. However, we still use strategies that can get you through the winter.
- We preserve food: I can, freeze, and dehydrate lots of local goodies when they’re in season. During zucchini season, for example, I make zucchini noodles with my Spiralizer, then dehydrate them to enjoy later in the year. I make marinara sauce, salsa, ketchup, and tomato broth from my garden bounty. Fruits, veggies, and nuts all get put back in one way or another to see us through the winter.
- We stockpile using the agrarian method. Centuries ago, eating in season and putting food back for the winter was how people survived Each year we build up a stockpile to use over the winter, and each winter we eat most of our stockpile before replenishing it again. This is one of the strategies explained in my book, The Pantry Primer.
- We eat in season: For our “fresh” produce, we enjoy things like rutabagas and turnips in the winter. We eat salads in the spring and fall. We enjoy apples throughout apple season, oranges in the winter, and strawberries in the spring. By focusing on what is in season, we get fresh local goodies when they are at their best.
- We use strategies to extend our growing season: We have a greenhouse in which we grow some greens in the winter. This year, we plan to really branch out and see how much we can produce in it. We have a small hoophouse set-up to go over raised beds to extend the harvest past the first frost. We grow sprouts, herbs, and lettuce in a sunny kitchen window.
- We eat meat, dairy products, and eggs: We get our meat locally, our milk from a nearby neighbor, and eggs from the backyard. These excellent local protein sources are an important part of our diets and make up the majority of calories.
- We eat easily stored root vegetables. In colder temperatures, we rely on things like winter squash, rutabagas, turnips, onions, carrots, and occasionally potatoes. Fruits like apples, if stored carefully, will last long into the colder months too.
- At the grocery store, we focus on frozen foods. Since I’m not a millionaire, I purchase a lot of frozen fruits and vegetables in the winter to supplement what we’ve put back from local harvests.
If you’ve been thinking about going grain-free, now is the time
If you haven’t been living in a cave, you’ve most likely heard about the research by prominent physicians like Dr. William Davis, Dr. Jack Wolfson, and Dr. David Perlmutter. They all concur that the Standard American Diet with its high carbohydrates and massive reliance on grains is linked to a variety of serious health issues such as heart disease, fatty liver disease, obesity, diabetes, and more.
We’ve been programmed by the USDA (which has a vested interest in promoting the sale of millions of pounds of grains), the FDA, and the AMA to believe that our plate must be half full of starchy carbs. This is simply not true, and has caused epidemic chronic illness. Are you going to blindly follow the advice of government agencies that are heavily influenced by corporate farms or are you going to experiment and see what works best for your particular situation?
Summer is possibly the easiest time to take the plunge into grain-free eating, but no matter what season it is, consider making a change for a few weeks. See how you feel. Let your body heal.
You just may decide this is the lifestyle for you.
Editors note: Click here to Find a Local Farmer
FREE BOOK DOWNLOAD (Limited Offer)
Do You Know Your Body’s Most Important Weight Loss Secret?
By J. Davis III
Tags: HEALING | HEALTHY FATS | REMEDIES
Recently, Doctor of Naturopathy, weight-loss expert and best-selling Amazon author Liz Swann Miller, creator of the Red Smoothie Detox Factor, revealed 2 of the secrets to easy, steady weight loss. Secrets the big food corporations do their best to hide from us.
Secret #1: Enjoy real food. Don’t fall for the lie that you have to deprive yourself to lose weight.
Secret #2: stop eating out. You will automatically eat less without even noticing.
Then start detoxing your body with tasty, nourishing smoothies that are just as easy on your wallet as they are easy to make.
Because a single day of enjoying Liz’ smoothies demonstrated the radical power of her superfood-packed red smoothies to make me feel incredibly good.
Now prepare yourself for one of the biggest weight loss secrets there is. A secret that, when you use it properly, can transform your body and your health.
You probably know most of us eat too much processed food. What you may not know is that it’s full of toxic chemicals and substandard, dirt-cheap ingredients designed to make you eat more…and force you to gain weight.
Here’s how it works...
“That stuff is just a lot of calories your body can’t use,” Liz told me, “Some are poison. And all these foods are stripped of the anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that help your body detox. The result? Your body expends huge amounts of calories to eliminate some toxins—the rest, it stores in your fat to protect you. This is why most people are hungry all the time. They’re not getting energy they need.”
“So… what’s going on with me? Why am I losing weight but not going hungry?”
Liz paused, then dropped the bombshell.
Your body is designed to burn fat. You just have to let it.
“What? I thought we were designed to store fat?!?” We were Skyping and I was practically shouting. Then I heard Liz say…
What good is a fat reserve if you can’t burn it?
Liz continued: “You’re drinking smoothies packed with phytonutrients, anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that pull toxins out of you like a tractor beam. Allowing your body to burn those toxin-filled fat stores… and releasing tremendous amounts of stored energy.”
So that’s why I’m losing weight without going hungry.
Watch Liz’ free presentation. It’s packed with revolutionary weight loss information—information that works. Because it’s based on how nature works.
Click the button below only if you want to wear smaller clothes, breathe easier, move more freely and just plain feel better.
Because when you click here to watch Liz’ life-changing presentation, you’ll learn
- Which calories help you lose weight…and which ones help you gain it…
- The “diet” foods…some of them vegetables…that lead to weight gain and diabetes…
- The “low-fat” foods that can dramatically increase your risk of cancer.
- And the superfoods that rescue your body from this assault by detoxing you…
Revitalizing your metabolism so you can
Shed pounds as well as toxins, renew your body and reset your internal clock by up to 7 years.
Because until now, the Red Smoothie Detox Factor has been available only to Liz’ private clients. But now that she’s perfected it to work for almost everyone, almost every time, Liz is sharing it with rest of us so we can feel better and look better.
Get Red Smoothie Detox Factor before the price goes back up.
Because Liz offers a ridiculously good guarantee. You have 60 days to decide you love the Red Smoothie Detox Factor. If you don’t love it—for any reason, or even no reason at all —Liz will refund your money. 100%. No questions asked.
Natural Diabetes Treatment Works Better Than Prescription Drugs *PROOF*
By Richard Neal
Tags: HEALING | REMEDIES | PREVENTION
According the latest statistics, diagnosed and undiagnosed diabetes in the United States is reaching epidemic levels:
Total: 29.1 million people or 9.3% of the population have diabetes.
Diagnosed: 21.0 million people.
Undiagnosed: 8.1 million people (27.8% of people with diabetes are undiagnosed).
Source: CDC Website
Drugs Treat Symptoms, Not Disease
Pharmaceutical companies have been trying to shut these doctors down simply for revealing the truth about diabetes.
Scientific studies have proven that type 2 diabetes can be reversed naturally - but this information has been hidden and suppressed for decades.
Diabetics can normalize blood sugar, and be taken off all medication and insulin injections completely naturally.
Doctors at the International Council for Truth in Medicine are revealing the truth about diabetes in a shocking new online presentation.
In 3 Weeks, 71% Type 2 Diabetics Were Taken off ALL Medication
96% of patients were able to stop all insulin injections and 81% achieved complete relief of painful neuropathy.
Groundbreaking research published by the University of Kentucky, University of California and Newscastle University prove that type 2 diabetes CAN be reversed.
Blood sugar normalizes... neuropathy pain goes away...
Doctors at the International Council for Truth in Medicine have perfected these techniques and helped tens of thousands of their patients end the need for medication and insulin injections 100% naturally.
You don't have to suffer anymore, Learn the truth about your diabetes and stop this disease dead in its tracks right now.
Groundbreaking New Research
Doctors at the International Council for Truth in Medicine are revealing the truth about diabetes that has been suppressed for over 21 years.
Last year they helped over 17,542 type 2 diabetics end the need for prescription drugs, insulin injections and blood sugar monitoring.
This year they're on track to help over 30,000.
In just a few weeks, 96% of their patients are able to stop ALL diabetes medication and insulin injections.
No more neuropathy pain, pricking your finger, or the need for expensive medication.
Learn about this groundbreaking new research here:
#1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat
By J. Davis III
Tags: HEALING | PREVENTION
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat.
This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
P.S. Make sure you check out the next page to get to know the 10 simple moves that will bring vitality back into your life!
==> Click here to discover which “hidden survival muscle” will help you boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance permanently!
More Health Resources:
- "Red" Smoothie Helps Alabama Girl Shed 80lbs!
- Thе Fastest Wау Tо Lose Weight In 4 Weeks
- #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat
- Your Birth Date + Name - Free Report
- The "Instant Switch" Law Of Attraction
- The 3 reasons you should NEVER eat wheat -- Yes, even "whole wheat"
- [PROOF] Reverse Diabetes with a “Pancreas Jumpstart”
- Why Some People LOOK Fat that Aren't
- Diabetes Destroyer System
- His wife REFUSED to let them amputate his legs!
- Unlock Your Hip Flexors
- Doctors Reversed Diabetes in Three Weeks