Gluten-free is all the rage these days.
A 2013 study showed that a whopping 30% of Americans are actively trying to avoid gluten (1).
Fortunately, there are many healthy and delicious foods that are naturally gluten-free. Avoiding gluten does NOT have to be tasteless or boring.
What is Gluten?
When wheat flour is mixed with water, the gluten proteins form a sticky cross-linking network that has a glue-like consistency (6).
The name glu-ten is derived from this glue-like property. If you’ve ever held wet dough in your hands, then you will know what I’m talking about.
Gluten makes the dough elastic, and gives it the ability to rise during breadmaking. It also tastes good, and provides a chewy, satisfying texture.
Many People Are Sensitive to Gluten
This serious disease is caused by an autoimmune reaction when the gliadin proteins enter the digestive tract (8).
This can lead to a degenerated gut lining, nutrient deficiencies, severe digestive issues and other serious conditions, many of which are hard to link to digestion (9).
There are no good numbers on how common it is, but some estimates place it around 0.5-13% (12). In people with gluten sensitivity, gluten may cause diarrhea, stomach pain, bloating, fatigue, depression and various other symptoms (13, 14).
All of this being said, there is currently very little evidence that gluten is harmful for everyone. Many people seem to tolerate it just fine.
There is even evidence that many people with gluten sensitivity are actually sensitive to FODMAPs (a type of carbohydrate in wheat and other foods), not gluten (18).
For these people, a low-FODMAP diet is more appropriate than a gluten-free diet.
A Gluten-Free Diet Can be Challenging
The purpose of the gluten-free diet is to completely eliminate gluten from the diet.
However, this can be a major challenge, especially considering that gluten-containing ingredients (like wheat) are added to various different foods.
In order to go gluten-free, you need to start reading labels on everything you eat, and may need to make significant changes to the foods you eat from day to day.
If you think you have a serious condition like celiac disease, then please consult with your doctor before going gluten-free, as it may not be possible to diagnose the disease if you’re already avoiding gluten.
Foods and Ingredients to Avoid
Wheat: all forms, including whole wheat, wheat flour, wheat germ and wheat bran.There are several foods that always contain gluten, and should always be avoided on a gluten-free diet:
- Others: Durum flour, farina, graham flour, semolina.
Other foods usually contain gluten, and should be avoided unless specifically labelled “gluten-free,” or made strictly with gluten-free ingredients:
- Cakes, pies and pastries.
- Cookies, crackers, biscuits.
- Sauces, dressing and gravies, especially soy sauce.
Keep in mind that gluten can be found in all sorts of processed foods. Your best bet is to eat whole, single ingredient foods as much as possible.
However, they are sometimes processed in the same facilities as wheat, and may therefore be “cross-contaminated” with gluten (20).
Unless specifically labelled gluten-free, consider avoiding oats if you have celiac disease.
Also keep in mind that certain supplements and medications may contain gluten.
Important: You really MUST read labels. Wheat and other gluten-containing ingredients are found in all sorts of different foods.
Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy, right? However…
Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this true story…
Foods to Eat
There are plenty of healthy and nutritious foods that are naturally gluten free.
- Here is a list of 50 super healthy foods that you can include in your diet. All of them are gluten-free except no. 36.Meats: chicken, beef, lamb, etc.
- Fish and seafood: salmon, trout, haddock, shrimp, etc.
- Eggs: all types, but pastured/Omega-3 enriched eggs are best.
- Dairy: milk, cheese, yogurt.
- Vegetables: broccoli, kale, Brussels sprouts, carrots, onions, etc.
- Fruits: apples, avocados, bananas, oranges, pears, strawberries,blueberries, etc.
- Legumes: lentils, beans, peanuts, etc.
- Nuts: almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts, etc.
- Tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc.
- Healthy fats: olive oil, avocado oil, butter, coconut oil.
- Herbs, spices and condiments: Salt, garlic, pepper, vinegar, mustard, etc.
- Gluten-free grains: quinoa, rice, corn, flax, millet, sorghum, tapioca, buckwheat, arrowroot, amaranth, as well as oats (if labelled gluten-free).
- Others: Dark chocolate.
What About Processed Gluten-Free Foods?
A gluten-free diet can be very healthy, as long as you base the diet on real foods.
However, you can also find numerous processed gluten-free replacement products, such as breads, pastries, muffins, cakes, cookies, and others.
In most cases, these foods are highly processed and made with sugar and refined grains. These are “empty” calories, and can lead to rapid spikes in blood sugar.
If you don’t really care about health, but simply want to avoid gluten, then you can include these foods in your diet.
For optimal health, however, it is best to choose foods that are naturally gluten-free, not gluten-free products.
Gluten-free junk food is still junk food.
Regarding alcohol, beer should be avoided unless labelled gluten-free, but most wines and spirits don’t contain gluten.
Everyone knows green smoothies are healthy, right? However…
Have you heard of a “red” smoothie? If not, check out this true story…
A Sample Gluten-Free Menu For One Week
This sample menu shows what a week on a gluten-free diet might look like.
You can easily adjust this based on your own preferences.
- Breakfast: Scrambled eggs and veggies, with a piece of fruit.
- Lunch: Chicken salad, with some extra virgin olive oil and a handful of nuts.
- Dinner: Ground beef stir fry, with some veggies. Brown rice on the side.
- Breakfast: Oatmeal (gluten-free oats) with whole milk and raisins.
- Lunch: A smoothie with coconut milk, chocolate whey protein powder, berries and almonds.
- Dinner: Salmon, fried in butter, with salad.
- Breakfast: Omelet with veggies, and a piece of fruit.
- Lunch: Leftover salmon from the night before.
- Dinner: Burgers (no bun), fried in butter, with potatoes.
- Breakfast: Greek yogurt with sliced fruits and nuts.
- Lunch: A tuna salad, dressed in olive oil.
- Dinner: Meatballs with vegetables and brown rice.
- Breakfast: Eggs and vegetables, fried in coconut oil, with a piece of fruit.
- Lunch: Leftover meatballs from the night before.
- Dinner: Steak with vegetables and mashed sweet potatoes.
- Breakfast: Oatmeal, with a piece of fruit.
- Lunch: Leftover steak, veggies and sweet potatoes from the night before.
- Dinner: Baked salmon with butter and vegetables.
- Breakfast: Bacon and eggs, with some fruit.
- Lunch: Greek yogurt with berries, sliced fruit, and nuts.
- Dinner: Grilled chicken wings, with vegetables, salsa and rice.
You can find a list of 101 paleo recipes (that are all gluten-free) here: 101 Paleo Recipes That Taste Incredible.
Healthy, Gluten-Free Snacks
If you find yourself hungry between meals, then here are a few ideas for gluten-free snacks:
- A piece of fruit.
- A handful of nuts.
- Some yogurt, perhaps with berries mixed in.
- Rice cakes.
- Baby carrots.
- Hard boiled eggs.
- Leftovers from the night before.
How to Eat at Restaurants
Most restaurants serve gluten-free options.
Just skip the bread and tell the waiter that you’re on a gluten-free diet.
A protein source (meat or fish) with veggies, and a potato or rice on the side, are excellent gluten-free options when you’re eating out.
If you have celiac disease, make it clear to the waiter that you absolutely can not have any gluten, even in trace amounts.
It may be a good idea to check their website or call ahead to ensure that the restaurant you are about to go to has gluten-free options.
A Simple Gluten-Free Shopping List
This simple shopping list should help you get started.You can eat a massive variety of foods on a gluten-free diet.
- Meat: beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, pork, etc.
- Fish: salmon, trout, sardines, tuna, mackerel, etc.
- Dairy: yogurt, cheese, milk.
- Frozen vegetables.
- Fresh vegetables: carrots, peppers, greens, Brussels sprouts, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc.
- Fruits: Apples, avocado, bananas, pears, oranges.
- Berries: Strawberries, blueberries.
- Nuts: Almonds, walnuts, pistachios, macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, peanuts.
- Nut butters: peanut butter and almond butter.
- Legumes: lentils, beans, kidney beans, chickpeas.
- Grains: quinoa, buckwheat, rice, corn.
- Coconut oil.
- Olive oil.
- Chia seeds.
- Tubers: Potatoes and Sweet potatoes.
- Condiments: Sea salt, pepper, turmeric, garlic, parsley, etc.
How to Succeed on a Gluten-Free Diet
If you truly want to succeed on a gluten-free diet, then there are many resources available.
That being said, this article should contain everything you need to get started. You can use this page to create a printable version of the article.
At the end of the day, a gluten-free diet can be incredibly healthy and satisfying, if done right.
For people with celiac disease or another gluten-related disorder, the benefits can literally be life-saving.
Editors note: Click here to Find a Local Farmer
FREE BOOK DOWNLOAD (Limited Offer)
Do You Know Your Body’s Most Important Weight Loss Secret?
By J. Davis III
Tags: HEALING | HEALTHY FATS | REMEDIES
Recently, Doctor of Naturopathy, weight-loss expert and best-selling Amazon author Liz Swann Miller, creator of the Red Smoothie Detox Factor, revealed 2 of the secrets to easy, steady weight loss. Secrets the big food corporations do their best to hide from us.
Secret #1: Enjoy real food. Don’t fall for the lie that you have to deprive yourself to lose weight.
Secret #2: stop eating out. You will automatically eat less without even noticing.
Then start detoxing your body with tasty, nourishing smoothies that are just as easy on your wallet as they are easy to make.
Because a single day of enjoying Liz’ smoothies demonstrated the radical power of her superfood-packed red smoothies to make me feel incredibly good.
Now prepare yourself for one of the biggest weight loss secrets there is. A secret that, when you use it properly, can transform your body and your health.
You probably know most of us eat too much processed food. What you may not know is that it’s full of toxic chemicals and substandard, dirt-cheap ingredients designed to make you eat more…and force you to gain weight.
Here’s how it works...
“That stuff is just a lot of calories your body can’t use,” Liz told me, “Some are poison. And all these foods are stripped of the anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that help your body detox. The result? Your body expends huge amounts of calories to eliminate some toxins—the rest, it stores in your fat to protect you. This is why most people are hungry all the time. They’re not getting energy they need.”
“So… what’s going on with me? Why am I losing weight but not going hungry?”
Liz paused, then dropped the bombshell.
Your body is designed to burn fat. You just have to let it.
“What? I thought we were designed to store fat?!?” We were Skyping and I was practically shouting. Then I heard Liz say…
What good is a fat reserve if you can’t burn it?
Liz continued: “You’re drinking smoothies packed with phytonutrients, anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories that pull toxins out of you like a tractor beam. Allowing your body to burn those toxin-filled fat stores… and releasing tremendous amounts of stored energy.”
So that’s why I’m losing weight without going hungry.
Watch Liz’ free presentation. It’s packed with revolutionary weight loss information—information that works. Because it’s based on how nature works.
Click the button below only if you want to wear smaller clothes, breathe easier, move more freely and just plain feel better.
Because when you click here to watch Liz’ life-changing presentation, you’ll learn
- Which calories help you lose weight…and which ones help you gain it…
- The “diet” foods…some of them vegetables…that lead to weight gain and diabetes…
- The “low-fat” foods that can dramatically increase your risk of cancer.
- And the superfoods that rescue your body from this assault by detoxing you…
Revitalizing your metabolism so you can
Shed pounds as well as toxins, renew your body and reset your internal clock by up to 7 years.
Because until now, the Red Smoothie Detox Factor has been available only to Liz’ private clients. But now that she’s perfected it to work for almost everyone, almost every time, Liz is sharing it with rest of us so we can feel better and look better.
Get Red Smoothie Detox Factor before the price goes back up.
Because Liz offers a ridiculously good guarantee. You have 60 days to decide you love the Red Smoothie Detox Factor. If you don’t love it—for any reason, or even no reason at all —Liz will refund your money. 100%. No questions asked.
Natural Diabetes Treatment Works Better Than Prescription Drugs *PROOF*
By Richard Neal
Tags: HEALING | REMEDIES | PREVENTION
According the latest statistics, diagnosed and undiagnosed diabetes in the United States is reaching epidemic levels:
Total: 29.1 million people or 9.3% of the population have diabetes.
Diagnosed: 21.0 million people.
Undiagnosed: 8.1 million people (27.8% of people with diabetes are undiagnosed).
Source: CDC Website
Drugs Treat Symptoms, Not Disease
Pharmaceutical companies have been trying to shut these doctors down simply for revealing the truth about diabetes.
Scientific studies have proven that type 2 diabetes can be reversed naturally - but this information has been hidden and suppressed for decades.
Diabetics can normalize blood sugar, and be taken off all medication and insulin injections completely naturally.
Doctors at the International Council for Truth in Medicine are revealing the truth about diabetes in a shocking new online presentation.
In 3 Weeks, 71% Type 2 Diabetics Were Taken off ALL Medication
96% of patients were able to stop all insulin injections and 81% achieved complete relief of painful neuropathy.
Groundbreaking research published by the University of Kentucky, University of California and Newscastle University prove that type 2 diabetes CAN be reversed.
Blood sugar normalizes... neuropathy pain goes away...
Doctors at the International Council for Truth in Medicine have perfected these techniques and helped tens of thousands of their patients end the need for medication and insulin injections 100% naturally.
You don't have to suffer anymore, Learn the truth about your diabetes and stop this disease dead in its tracks right now.
Groundbreaking New Research
Doctors at the International Council for Truth in Medicine are revealing the truth about diabetes that has been suppressed for over 21 years.
Last year they helped over 17,542 type 2 diabetics end the need for prescription drugs, insulin injections and blood sugar monitoring.
This year they're on track to help over 30,000.
In just a few weeks, 96% of their patients are able to stop ALL diabetes medication and insulin injections.
No more neuropathy pain, pricking your finger, or the need for expensive medication.
Learn about this groundbreaking new research here:
#1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat
By J. Davis III
Tags: HEALING | PREVENTION
I bet you can’t guess which muscle in your body is the #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat.
This “hidden survival muscle” in your body will boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance when unlocked.
If this “hidden” most powerful primal muscle is healthy, we are healthy.
d) Hip Flexors
Take the quiz above and see if you got the correct answer!
P.S. Make sure you check out the next page to get to know the 10 simple moves that will bring vitality back into your life!
==> Click here to discover which “hidden survival muscle” will help you boost your energy levels, immune system, sexual function, strength and athletic performance permanently!
More Health Resources:
- "Red" Smoothie Helps Alabama Girl Shed 80lbs!
- Thе Fastest Wау Tо Lose Weight In 4 Weeks
- #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat
- Your Birth Date + Name - Free Report
- The "Instant Switch" Law Of Attraction
- The 3 reasons you should NEVER eat wheat -- Yes, even "whole wheat"
- [PROOF] Reverse Diabetes with a “Pancreas Jumpstart”
- Why Some People LOOK Fat that Aren't
- Diabetes Destroyer System
- His wife REFUSED to let them amputate his legs!
- Unlock Your Hip Flexors
- Doctors Reversed Diabetes in Three Weeks