This is the time of the year the we start seeing some great green vegetables at the Farmer's Market- Lots of different Lettuces, Bok Choy, Beet Greens , Kale, and of course Broccoli!
Broccoli Nutrition Facts
Broccoli is actually a flowering vegetable and it's widely considered by health experts to both prevent disease and promote health. Broccoli is known to be a rich source of nutrients which are thought to help prevent prostate cancer and lower stroke risks.
- Very low in calories (about 30 calories per cup)
- An exceptional source of Vitamin C (one cup has about 90mg, 150% of the RDA)
- Contains 21% of the RDA of Vitamin A per cup
- Good source of the minerals calcium, manganese, iron, magnesium, selenium, zinc and phosphorus.
- Rich in Folates, Carotenoids, Vitamin K and B-complex group vitamins
Broccoli Selection and Storage
Choose fresh, bright, compact, firm textured flower heads. For storage, one of our readers suggests cutting about an inch off the bottom of the stem and placing the whole bunch in a container with water (like a flowers in a vase). Place this in your refrigerator with a plastic bag over the top and your broccoli will last a lot longer!
Cream of Broccoli Soup
Hot Broccoli Dip
|Tasty Broccoli Salad |
Some people don't like raw broccoli. This recipe has a fix. The honey and vinegar in the dressing adds a great sweet and sour note!
|Broccoli Pesto |
Very easy and super tasty recipe. Your kids won't even know they are eating Broccoli!
|Broccoli Frittata Use those farm fresh eggs and some local goat cheese for this amazing frittata. Make this recipe ahead of time for a quick breakfast treat.|
|Broccoli Slaw with almonds, cranberries and red onion. Tossed with a delicious buttermilk dressing. You'll go back for seconds of this recipe!|
|Roasted Broccoli |
With fresh Tomato sauce. The fresh rich flavor of the tomatoes is a nice counterpoint to the smokey, earthy flavor of the broccoli.
|Broccoli Fritters |
Perfect way to use leftover broccoli and these look and taste so amazing that your kids won't care that they are eating vegetables!
|Broccoli Souffle |
This elegant broccoli and goat cheese soufflé will wow your family and friends. Soufflés are surprisingly easy to make—the only trick is getting them on the table before they deflate!
I hope you enjoy this list of broccoli recipes! If you like this then please check out our Top 10 Ways to Prepare Kale article!
We'd love to hear your feedback, please leave a comment if you try any of these recipes. Also, if you have a good broccoli recipe of your own, please share it with us!
Editors note: Click here to Find a Local Farmer
More Health Resources:
- "Red" Smoothie Helps Alabama Girl Shed 80lbs!
- Thе Fastest Wау Tо Lose Weight In 4 Weeks
- #1 muscle that eliminates joint and back pain, anxiety and looking fat
- Your Birth Date + Name - Free Report
- The "Instant Switch" Law Of Attraction
- The 3 reasons you should NEVER eat wheat -- Yes, even "whole wheat"
- [PROOF] Reverse Diabetes with a “Pancreas Jumpstart”
- Why Some People LOOK Fat that Aren't
- Diabetes Destroyer System
- His wife REFUSED to let them amputate his legs!
- Unlock Your Hip Flexors
- Doctors Reversed Diabetes in Three Weeks